LMS | WebMail | PHOnline | Impressum
headerBild
headerBild
headerBild
Logo Oekolog
Partnerschule Pyhra
Wir haben das österreichische Umweltzeichen

History of Castle Sooss    

                                                 

Castle Sooss is sited on sandstone ridges in the forested areas of the municipality of Hürm in Lower Austria. The castle, as we know it today, was built in 1901, but the former main towers and parts of  the historical castle walls still remain intact. Beyond the castle you can behold the ‚Stöckl‘, a two-storey rectangular shaped building, which was built on an ancient tower and is connected with a crossover. The Stöckl was used as a deanery.

The main building was erected in the 16th century and was extended in the following century. In 1901 the new castle was constructed. It consists of round towers, a chapel with a tent roof and a cornice. The main wing has three storeys which originate from the 16th century. The front view shows arcades and the main tower on the north-east side with a new-Gothic gallery and added small towers. Above the entrance you can see the emblems of the families, Hoyos and Kinsky, who owned the property.

The fortress was first mentioned in a document in 1147 and belonged to the Sighardinger dynasty. In the following decades property ownership changed hands many times.

 1670

Finally in 1894 Earl Gregor of Hoyos purchased the castle and started to renovate the building. His son, Edgar Hoyos, converted the castle into its contemporary state. Edgar’s wife, Helene, was a born Kinsky.

The house was beautifully and nobly furnished. In the dining room there is an old oak-wood door dating back to 1649; the remarkable chimney is made of red marble from Verona and is 400 years old. The gallery shows painting with themes from Greek mythology.

At the beginning of WWII in 1938, the castle was sold-by-force to  the Germans and from 1945 to 1955 it was occupied by the Russians. In 1955 it was returned to the Austrian government and in 1961 an agricultural college for girls was established.

In 1971, the Federal State of Lower Austria bought the castle and since then it has been used as an agricultural technical college. Consequently, the building has frequently been adapted and converted to meet the requirements of an educational institution.

The castle is surrounded by a two hectare- sized park, with huge old trees and a herb and vegetable garden.